Most doctors understand when a patient suffers from dizziness or vertigo, it can be a life altering situation. When a person suffers from this condition, the risk of falling is increased and resulting bodily injury can occur. In addition, operating a motor vehicle can be risky and threaten the life of many. Dizziness or vertigo can be caused by a wide variety of disorders, some may be related to improper spinal alignment in the upper cervical spine or neck vertebra. After a thorough medical history by our staff physicians, physical and neurological examination, sensory non-invasive nerve testing, and any necessary X-rays, our doctors will prescribe a conservative, drug-less approach to your condition.
How do we diagnosis the cause of dizziness or vertigo
- Medical history
- Physical and neurological examination
- X-Ray examination
- Non-invasive nerve testing
- Refer for MRI imaging
- Refer for CT scan
- Second medical opinion or consultation if indicated
How is dizziness and vertigo treated in our Clinic.
Once an initial diagnosis is established, our doctors will prescribe a treatment program to address the problem. This may include any of the following:
- Gentle spinal manipulation to the upper cervical spine manually or adjustment instrument called an “Activator”. These are a pain free procedure performed by our doctors on staff.
- Cold laser therapy may also be prescribed to treat spinal and muscle areas of Involvement. This too, is a pain less procedure which can be highly effective
- Trigger point therapy or myo-fascial release technique may complement the spinal adjustments and laser treatments. The attending physician will locate specific areas of the neck and head supportive muscles that contain trigger points with trapped metabolic chemicals. These chemicals may include harmful lactic acid, prostaglandins, and/or bradykinins. The presence of these chemical result in edema, swelling, or inflammation of the surrounding soft tissues.
- Electrical muscle stimulation is used to relax tight or spasmodic muscles that are involved.
- Therapeutic exercises may also be provided to help improve the spinal and muscle range for motion, flexibility, and endurance
- Ultrasound therapy may also help increase circulation and reduce inflammation in the involves areas.
- Life style and postural advice is offered to help our patient decease physical and emotional stress on the body
- Nutritional counseling to improve the biochemistry in the body. Our Staff references the Harvard School of Medicine and Public Health to enhance the knowledge of our patients so that can make informed decisions regarding our doctor’s recommendation for nutritional and lifestyle changes and improvements.
- Specific prescription of at home spinal exercises to assist recovery